Topics - Martin (A. J. P. Martin)
Martin (A. J. P. Martin)
Professor A. J. P. Martin, FRS, Nobel Laureate, studied at Cambridge University where he received his Ph.D. in 1936. He invented gas chromatography and described its function and its attributes in a paper published in 1944. He conducted research for various industrial organizations and then joined the Medical Research Council at Mill Hill, London. There, working with A. T. James he developed and published details of the first gas chromatograph. Martin was an excellent experimentaist. He designed and constructed the first in-line gas chromatography detector, the Gas Density Balance. The gas density balance was a complex series of tubes in the form a Wheatstone bridge drilled out of a high conductivity copper block. It contained a heater loop and twin thermocouples made out of 2mm of 0.001 in O.D. Constantan wire arc welded at either end to two lengths of 0.001 in. O.D. copper wire acted as the sensor. It had a sensitivity of about 10-6 g/ml and a response that was proportional to the molecular weight of the solute. He was extraordinary professor at the Technische Hogesschool in Eindhoven (1964-1973). Professorial Fellow at Sussex University (1973-1974) was appointed Professor of Chemistry at the University of Houston, Texas in1974 and finally Professor of Chemistry at Lausanne University.